6 Ways To Bring Fun and Happiness To Your Procurement Career
Bring energy, gratitude, and connection to your workplace to increase opportunities for happiness and fun. By opening yourself to opportunity and becoming invested in your surroundings, passion and meaning can blossom, leading to higher levels of productivity and life satisfaction.
“Find a job you enjoy doing, and you will never have to work a day in your life,” said Mark Twain and countless business gurus. If the days are growing long, how do you reignite your passion as a procurement professional and bring joy to your job? Considering happy employees are 12% more productive and more than a third of employees would give up $5,000 per year in salary to be happier at work, you can rest assured that your happiness is important and will benefit you as well as those around you.
Make Real, Personal Connections
If you’re in procurement, there’s a good chance that you spend a substantial portion of your week on the phone communicating with all sorts of people. While it can be easy to fall in a slump and robotically make your way through your calls, adding a little pep and a little caring to your conversations can make all the difference to your own happiness as well as potentially brighten the day of the person on the other end of the line.
Do you have particular suppliers you communicate with frequently? How about co-workers? Feel free to offer a genuine compliment. Keep track of what’s going on in their lives as they share with you—perhaps even keep a little notebook to help you remember the details. Then, check in with them! See what’s changed, really listen, and let yourself care.
Do you find yourself surrounded by closed-up comrades? Start sharing yourself. It may feel like you’re being annoying at first, but your sharing can open pathways for others to care about you and to then begin sharing themselves. These foundational relationships can make work more meaningful which, in turn, makes work happier.
Boost Your Energy Levels
It’s hard to be happy if you’re half asleep (unless, maybe, you’re cozied up in bed). Boost your energy levels and let your brightness shine and see the response of others and yourself in terms of your happiness and fun.
Some ways to gain momentum and bring some fun to your day include:
- Actually take your lunch break. Working through lunch may seem like a good idea at the time, but it is more realistically likely to lead to burnout and slow productivity—not exactly the boost you might hope for. Instead, focus on your food and recharging your batteries so you can get back to work refreshed. It’s also a great time for some active mindfulness meditation while you chew.
- Have some extra time after lunch? Go for a walk or take a quick stretch. Getting your blood moving is not only good for your physical health, it’s great for your mental health as well.
- If you have your own office or a good set of headphones, make yourself a peppy playlist with songs that make you feel ready to face the day with a smile and a good attitude.
Learn The Fine Art of Negotiation (And Perhaps Make A Game Of It)
If you’re dealing with suppliers and sales all day, you may be a bit fed up with gimmicky pitches and pushy tactics. However, if you can take up negotiation as a hobby yourself, the intricacies of your interactions may keep you more entertained than you might imagine. Because negotiation skills can take years, if not a lifetime, to master, there’s always something new to learn and pay attention to. Keeping yourself engaged in your conversations can boost the fun you’re having as you make your way through your workday.
Spruce Up Or Change Up Your Workspace
Having a personalized, invigorating workspace can make a world of difference to your happiness and ability to have fun at work. Surround yourself with things that you find beautiful and that spark a mindset of engagement. Add touches of your favorite color, sentimental pieces, and anything you find that makes you really want to do your job. For some people, it might be funky file folders or a really nice pen. Others may want patterns or objects that remind them of their favorite activities.
In a similar vein, if you have the ability to work away from the office, change up your workplace. Try out a new coffee shop, take your laptop to the park, anything that will give you a change of scenery. Keeping your brain enticed by taking in new environments opens your availability for new situations and opportunities for fun. Even if you keep to yourself, a new environment can skyrocket satisfaction and productivity levels alike.
Be A Team Player And A Friend
Even if you’re an introvert, the ability to be part of a team and work closely alongside people is valuable to you and those around you. Make these interactions fun and meaningful both in and, if possible, outside of work. Coworkers who have bonds tend to focus better on their work and find it more meaningful. Beyond actual work tasks, opportunities to connect with coworkers include:
- Play games with them. These can be productivity sprints of lunch break hacky sack, but stir some friendly competition.
- Join in on happy hour. Even if it’s a virgin daiquiri, sharing a few drinks with coworkers can quickly turn them into pals if only through familiarity.
- Celebrate small wins. The modern business world has no room for old-school, mean-spirited competition. Take joy in the wins of others and celebrate together.
- Free food is generally a good option for bringing folks together and boosting happiness levels. Perhaps bring in something small to share.
Value Your Suppliers
What are you without your suppliers? Give them the respect and attention they deserve in order to foster good, long-term relationships. Can you tell they’re in a work funk? Cut them some slack and control your own attitude and responses. Perhaps your example will lead them to find the fun and passion in their own work. And for those supplier gems who work to build your relationship? Cherish them and express your gratitude. Everyone likes to feel appreciated and this confidence boost can lead to more fun and happiness down the road.
Do you want a buying experience that values your time and lets you keep your happiness (and your sanity) intact? Try the Premikati Marketplace to connect with others who love what they do and who are happy to work together for the benefit of all.